Even a litter box cat may one day take a liking to a carpet. And most often the owners themselves are to blame for this: they accidentally closed the door behind which the tray stands, or the day before they offended or frightened the animal. In any case, you should not scold him, it is better to hurry to rid the carpet of the smell of cat urine. Despite the complexity of the task, it is quite doable and the carpet can be saved even with simple improvised methods. So how do you remove cat urine odor at home?
Before you start cleaning
Before proceeding directly to cleaning the carpet, it is necessary to collect excess moisture from the fresh tag. To do this, use paper napkins, towels, or a clean, dry cloth.
1. Place a tissue on a wet area to catch the liquid.
2. Change to clean and dry wipes until they stop getting wet.
3. Move from the edges of the stain to the center and do not press. This will prevent the puddle from spreading over the carpet.
Removing cat urine from carpet with household products
Once the moisture has been collected, you can begin to remove the remaining dirt. Please note that the recipes below are for your choice. Take the one for which you have the necessary remedy from the first aid kit or from the kitchen. Never rub the carpet with everyone, trying one remedy after another!
Removing cat urine from carpet with alcohol
Alcohol-containing liquids are excellent at breaking down uric acid crystals. Therefore, pure alcohol, diluted with water in a 1: 1 ratio, or ready-made vodka will be good means for cleaning the carpet from cat urine and removing its smell.
1. Soak a cotton pad in alcohol or vodka and rub the stain with it, moving from edge to center.
2. You can put a cotton pad on the dirty area and leave it on for 15-30 minutes.
3. Then remove the disc and leave the carpet to dry.
Removing cat urine from carpet with potassium permanganate
You can use potassium permanganate from your home first aid kit as a cat urine carpet cleaner.
1. Prepare a hot pink or purple concentrated solution based on it.
2. Take a clean rag or sponge and apply the solution to the stain.
3. Then just let the carpet dry.
Note! This method is only suitable for cleaning dark carpets, as potassium permanganate has a strong coloring pigment. A light carpet can be irreparably damaged!
Citric acid against cat urine odor
For a very fresh stain that has just appeared on the carpet, citric acid or freshly squeezed lemon juice will help to cope.
1. Prepare a solution: 1 teaspoon of citric acid per 100 ml of water. Or squeeze a whole lemon into a glass of water.
2. Pour the resulting composition over the stain and leave to dry completely.
Nice bonus! Iodine not only neutralizes the stench, but also temporarily interrupts it with its smell, which is not to the liking of a cat’s nose. This means that the animal will not have the desire to reuse the carpet instead of the tray.
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
A strong chemical reaction with the release of oxygen, which occurs if you extinguish the soda with peroxide, is the best way to cope with a stain that has already dried out. Baking soda and peroxide literally eat away at the uric acid compounds and break them off from the carpet pile.
1. Sprinkle baking soda over the stain.
2. Pour pharmacy 3% hydrogen peroxide on top.
3. Wait for the reaction and foam to stop. Leave the carpet to dry.
4. Then vacuum the carpet.
Attention! It is strictly forbidden to use baking soda and peroxide for cleaning bright and dark carpets, as well as handicrafts made of silk, viscose and wool. A strong chemical reaction will discolor the dye and cause white patches.
Removing old cat urine stains from carpet with vinegar
Plain table vinegar also works well at breaking down uric acid. With its help, you can neutralize an odorous stain that has already dried.
1. Pour vinegar directly onto the soiled area.
2. Leave the carpet to dry.
3. After drying, scrub the treated area with a hard sponge or brush.
Note: As with baking soda and peroxide, avoid using vinegar on brightly colored carpets and natural yarn. Use this recipe only if you have synthetic carpet!
Professional dry cleaning of carpet from cat urine
Another way to get rid of the smell of cat urine is to hire a professional carpet cleaning company in Melbourne. In terms of effectiveness, convenience and safety for coating, this option surpasses all possible methods of self-cleaning. You do not have to fear for the result, worry about whether the smell will go away or remain, whether the carpet will not be damaged. All the work will be done by specialists using professional equipment and specialized cleaning products. Moreover, turning to a professional cleaning will allow you to completely freshen up the carpet and remove all stains and general dirt on it.